Gentili Stark
Gentili Stark

Study in the UK: Obtain a UK Student or Child Student Visa

A Student Visa allows non-UK nationals who are over 16 years old to study at a British university, college or higher education provider. 

A Child Student Visa allows non-UK nationals who are 4 to 17 years old to study at an independent school in the UK. It has replaced the Tier 4 (Child) Student visa.

On this page, we will explain the requirements for each visa and how we can help you obtain one.

UK Student Visa Requirements

To qualify for a student visa in the UK, you will need:

  • an unconditional offer for a place on a course with a British licensed student sponsor
  • a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
  • enough money to pay for your course and support yourself independently in the UK
  • an English language qualification - each course requires a different level
  • tuberculosis (TB) certificate, if you come from one of these countries

We can help you check if you meet all requirements.

You can arrive in the UK a little before your course starts - between 1 week and one month before. 

UK Child Student Visa Requirements

To obtain a Child Student Visa, you will need:

  • the consent of your parent or guardian to study in the UK
  • an unconditional offer for a place on a course at an independent school with a licensed Child Student sponsor
  • enough money to pay for your course and support yourself independently in the UK

We can help you check if you meet all requirements.

You can arrive in the UK up to 1 month before your course starts. You can also take a short pre-sessional course to prepare you for your main course. 

How long can you stay?

Between 2 and 6 years, depending on the course you choose and the visa you obtain.

Right to work

While holding a UK Student Visa or Child Student Visa, you may be able to work. How many hours and what kind of work you can do depends on your course. We can help you understand precisely what you are allowed to do.

Bringing your dependants with you

Your partner, parent, guardian or children (dependants) may be able to move to the UK with you. We will be able to assess your case and let you know if this is possible based on your circumstances.

Extending or switching your Student Visa

Depending on your situation, you may be able to:

  • extend your visa, for example, to further your studies in the UK
  • switch to a Student Visa from another visa, if you’re already in the UK
  • switch to a Child Student Visa from another visa, if you’re already in the UK

We can help you understand if you are eligible and guide you through the process.

ILR, also known as settlement

Some people qualify for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK. We can advise on whether you are eligible, based on your personal circumstances and immigration history, and help you apply. 

Child Student visa holders aren’t eligible for ILR.

How we can help 

We have 20 years of experience in immigration in the UK, and we are confident that we can guide you through the whole application process.

We will be able to help you obtain your CAS reference number, manage the application process, and advise you on future applications.

Our UK Student and Child Student Visa Fees

Our fees depend on the complexities of your case, your immigration history and urgency. Before we take your instructions, we will agree on the fee with you. Our UK Student and Child Student Visa fees range from £ 1,500 to £ 2,500 plus VAT and disbursements.

We provide tailored solutions for our clients. For details on our services and fees, please see here. To find out how we can help you today, contact us on 07968 902362 or e-mail We will be in touch with you within 24 hours.

What our clients say

Icon - apostrophe

I just wanted to say thank you for your help with the British citizenship.
You were very helpful and communicated well with me and made me feel at ease. You were with me all through the process. Thank you
I would recommend this solicitor for help with becoming a British citizen

Dorothy Quaye
Icon - apostrophe

Stephane is the most considerate person and ensures that cases win. He explains every step of the process throughly and makes sure that I understand decisions I make to the highest extent. He also charges a reasonable price for the high level of work done. Moreover Stephane is a kind individual who makes everything understandable and easy to follow. Knowing that Stephane is handling a case is very reassuring. He is the reason why I can live with my son.

Icon - apostrophe

I cannot recommend Gentili-Stark enough they spent time on my case, they advised me each step of the way while also preparing all the necessary documents.
They always explained all the steps clearly, all the communication was spot-on and without any delay. I recommend getting in touch with them, truly a fast, friendly & very professional team.

Icon - apostrophe

As a writer of expert medico-legal reports in the immigration and asylum context, I have worked with Stephane Gentili over several years. I have been very impressed both by his commitment to his clients and by the thoroughness of his work. 

Professor Cornelius Katona MD FRCPsych
Icon - apostrophe

Thank you so much for all the work you did on my case, if it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t be in the position I’m in today. Your dedication makes you the best lawyer I’ve ever come across and I just want to thank you so so much.

Ijeoma and Family

Why with us?

We are here for you. You can call us outside office hours. We can give you peace of mind.
We have specialised in UK immigration law for 20 years.
We will take the time to get to know you to find the right legal solution for you.
We have happy clients. Our success rate is very high.
There are no surprises. Our fees are transparent and agreed upon with you before we start working.
Icon - Solicitors Regulation Authority
We are professionals. We are authorised by The Solicitors Regulation Authority.

Get in touch

Contact us to see how we can help you.
One of our team members will contact you within 24 hours.
Top menuarrow-right